Lets talk Lavender. I am quite sure many of you already know the benefits of lavender in aiding in relaxation and aroma-therapies etc… But did you have any idea how beneficial it is to our skin? I am going to break it down for you and give you every reason why you should be ‘Loving Lavender.’
FIRST… a little bit about the plant… The Lavendula plant is a shrub species that happens to be part of the large mint family. It is native to the ‘Old World’ and has been cultivated and utilized for culinary , holistic and medicinal purposes for centuries throughout Europe, Africa Mediterranean into Asia etc…
SECOND… a little bit about our skin… Your Skin is an organ just like your heart, lungs etc… it is the largest organ of the body, and the ONLY organ that is part of the inside and outside of the body. I’m telling you this because it’s simple… In order to have and maintain healthy skin you MUST take care of this organ feeding and nourishing it from the inside as well as topically on the outside exposed layers (epidermis). I will talk alot in this blog about taking care of your skin from within, if you eat like crap and live off toxic, it is going to reflect from the outside no matter how well you take care of your skin topically.
How you can nourish your skin from within with benefits of Lavender: ‘Calm yourself, Calm your skin.’
1. RELAXATION/CALMING : The inhalation of therapeutic grade lavender oils, aid in a calming effect that is delivered to a specific part of the brain after the aroma is processed through our senses. Stress and anxiety are common culprits to dull, tired looking skin and is a major source of unwanted and unruly acne breakouts.
- Try one to two drops of Lavender oil (I recommend an organic) in a warm bath. Who doesn’t want to end their day like that?
- Try one drop in your palms or on your wrists, rub on and around your neck and decolletage area before bed or even in a triggering social anxiety situation.
2. INSOMNIA : Much like above insomnia and any sleep deprivation can lead to unhealthy minds & unhealthy bodies, and our skin reveals and reflects it all. Lack of sleep can lead to impaired immune systems and quite often leads to illness. If chronic lack of sleep is not addressed it will cause a domino effect, your skin,suffering in the end.
- Rub one to two drops of lavender oil in your hands and lightly spread over your pillow before bed.
- Try one to two drops applied and massaged into your feet before bed.
- Chopped up ‘Lavender Angustifolia’ flowers in hot tea with some honey will not just offer aroma therapies right under your nose but will aid in calming the nervous system through digestion. (you only need about a half a dozen individual flowered buds.)
There is an Endless list of how lavender oil remedies the skin topically and it has been practiced for centuries in various cultures so its safe to say.. it works. here are a few
1. Known as an antiseptic , apply to minor cuts and bruises.
2. Apply to sunburned skin by mixing one to two drops with coconut oil.
3. Lavender contains antibacterial properties and calms the sebaceous glands so a very small amount mixed in with honey can be applied as a tincture on acne blemishes.
4. A small amount of Lavender oil (one drop) mixed in with a tablespoon of coconut oil aids in calming eczema flare ups and provides relief from the itching.
5. Rub one to two drops of Lavender oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil and massage into scalp. This aids in slowing down or stopping hairloss and promotes regrowth. It also fight dandruff with its anti-bacterial properties.
6. Attack Athletes foot by applying a small amount or Lavender oil with a carrier oil and massaged into feet when you can relax shoe-less for a few hours.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin